Okay, hold up your right hand and repeat the dyslexia pledge after me.
My Dyslexia Pledge
This year I pledge to:
- Revisit my child’s IEP and make sure it is in tip top shape.
- Ask for progress on goals in a measurable format.
- Make sure goals respond to needs.
- Make sure accommodations are being used.
- Call an IEP meeting when I believe changes need to be made.
- Not be intimidated by the school, or anyone for that matter.
- Be a first string teammate on the IEP team.
- Educate my student’s teachers about dyslexia every chance I get.
- Make sure my student has many opportunities throughout the day to feel successful at school.
- Not take no for an answer, when I am sure I am right.
- Never believe that dyslexia is a “death” sentence for my student’s education.
- Make sure my student’s IEP does not marginalize him.
Dyslexia is real.